Humans aren’t the only who like a warm bowl of soup on a cold Winter day, pets do too! Bone broth is hydrating, packed with nutrients, and is an immune system booster; perfect for both dog and cats. Keep reading to learn how to make this easy to make bone broth recipe at home.
- 4-4 1/2 pounds chicken backs, wings, drumsticks or thighs
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Water to cover, about 1 1/2 quarts
1. Add the chicken, carrots, celery and thyme to the Instant Pot. Pour in enough water to cover the ingredients, about 1 1/2 quarts.
2. For the Instant Pot: Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Allow the Instant Pot to depressurize with a natural release. Once the Instant Pot is safe to open, remove the lid and let it cool for 30 minutes.
For the stock pot: Cook uncovered over low heat for 4 hours.
For the slow cooker: Cook covered on low heat for 8 hours.
3. Set a strainer over a large bowl and pour the chicken bone broth through. For clearer broth, line the strainer with cheesecloth. Discard the solids, especially the animal bones, remaining in the strainer.
4. Cool to room temperature, then chill for 3 to 4 hours or until any fat that is on the surface has solidified. Scoop off the fat and discard it. Divide the broth into desired portion size and store in an airtight container (ice cube trays make handy portions in smaller batches for smaller pets!) and freeze until ready to use.